Apparently yesterday's journal entry was filed under today due to timezone differences (e.g. having written it on a machine in Finland). Shuffled that around and now here we are.
I kicked off the Nomad rewrite in Go this morning with Wally and Aaron. I'm at least going to start working on the database part.
I also want to express my appreciation and admiration for CSpace, Chris Siebenmann's blog. It's the kind of blog I'm trying to be able to write. Interestingly, I noticed today that because it's sort of a wiki, every page ends up being a tag... which is kind of what I'm going for with Kortex.
Now part of that is hard because I work at Google and Google has so many internal things that it's hard for me to know what I can write about - not just from a legal perspective but from a "what makes sense to talk about" perspective. Something to figure out.
I ran into a problem where a bunch of GTK apps would crash; emacs-gtk3 (but not emacs-gtk2!) would do it, firefox would if I tried to upload a file to bsd.network, kicad would crash if I tried to open a file dialog, all with the same error:
(kicad:50689): Gtk-WARNING **: 07:42:49.208: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme. This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found. ** Gtk:ERROR:gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/local/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3) Bail out! Gtk:ERROR:gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/local/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3) zsh: abort (core dumped) kicad
Inspecting the core dumps leads to backtraces in g_assertion_message.
The problem was that my packages and and my kernel were out of date. It just so happened that I installed in the gap between updates, so when my kernel updated and I upgraded my packages, it was still out of date. The solution is to make sure that your kernel and packages are in sync.
Also note to self: dhclient.conf options need a semicolon at the end. The error message is next to useless, and I went through a lot of permutations before figuring out it needed a semi-colon. I didn't realise there were examples in /etc/examples, looking only in /usr/share/doc. That's something to keep in mind in the future.